Education, Culture, Youth Affairs, Sports and Social Services
To be the champion in the provision of quality social services in Kenya and beyond.
To promote and coordinate sustainable social services through provision of effective programs and infrastructure for posterity.
The department is entrusted with ensuring quality education as it is mandated with coordination and implementation of policies pertaining ECDE, Local Polytechnics, Youth Affairs, Sports and Social Services.
Education – covers early childhood development education which involves development, coordination, administration and management of ECDE centers across the County.
Impressive progress has been achieved by Uasin Gishu County over the last four years on educational access at the ECDE level largely due to increased enrolment following the ECDE infrastructure development programme initiated by the county government. With the aim of Improving Education Standards, over 580 Early Childhood Development Education (ECDE) centres have been constructed and more than 1000 ECDE teachers employed. Over Ksh. 450 Million has been given out as bursaries to needy students in secondary schools and tertiary institutions across the county.
To equip the youth with employable technical skills and make them competitive in the labour market, Uasin Gishu county has established at least 2 vocational training centres in the six sub-counties, constructed 5 classrooms, 8 workshops and 3 hostels. 33 instructors have been employed to teach in the established vocational centres. Over 1800 students have benefited from the county’s Technical Industrial Vocational and Entrepreneurship Training(TIVET) loans to pursue technical courses in middle-level colleges in RVTTI and Eldoret National polytechnic. In youth empowerment initiatives, exchange programs have been organised by the county government with the state of Arizona to equip the youth with life skills.
The County is mindful of the vulnerable groups in the community and plans are underway for the elderly people aged 65 years and above to benefit from county medical insurance (NHIF). identified Persons with Disabilities (PWD’s) who are set to benefit from 20m-(2015/16),23m-(2016/17) have been identified. The County organises an annual beauty contest for PWDs to showcase their talents. The county has constructed a boys dormitory at the Rescue Centre, a dining hall, kitchen and ablution block at Homecraft centre. Street children, orphans and vulnerable children have been counselled, repatriated/reintegration with their families.
Uasin Gishu County being the home of champions especially in athletics, the county has identified 30 ward playgrounds for upgrading and organised and funded various activities for people living with disabilities. The deaf Athletics and Special Olympics including track and field, marathon and sitting volleyball were organised by the county where 25 athletes and 10 were selected for trials in Nairobi where 2 athletes were picked for the international competitions. With the objective of identifying, nurturing and developing sports talents and skills, the county has been involved in Coordinating and facilitating KICOSCA games which bring together staff working within the counties for talent development, recreation, team building, cultural exchange, sharing of ideas and general interaction.The county staff participated and the best players were selected to represent the Country during the East African games (EALASCA). The county has organized and coordinated athletics activities with the aim of nurturing sports talent. They include track and field events, cross country championships, marathons and Road races. These events include Kesses/Moi university community cross country, Kimbilio cross country, Family bank Half Marathon, Kass Marathon, Tuskys Cross Country, Cross country championships, Discovery Kenya cross country, Discovery Half Marathon. The refurbishment of Kipchoge stadium is in progress and the county has partnered with national government to renovate it to accommodate around 300,000 people. refurbishment of 64 stadia is underway.
Uasin Gishu County has facilitated 7 cultural groups to participate in the national music festival completions namely: Turbo Sub-county -Nandi cultural group, Kiptenden women group, Sokoni women group. Kapseret Sub-county-Segeriet women dancers, Education for life. Kesses Sub county-Inter community peace group. Moiben Sub county-Kayla traditional dancers. The above groups were facilitated again in regionals together with-Kimumu cultural dancers, Kimumu Arts group, Mawelji women group and Lekebeet cultural dancers. For the last three years, 16 meetings have been organised for Council of Elders to discuss matters affecting the county in peace, politics, culture and co-existence and the annual peace meeting for peace crusaders. The department organizes talent shows twice per year for youth to showcase their talents, quarterly exhibitions for herbal medicine practitioners and annual capacity building workshops for performing artists, herbal practitioners, adjudicators and team leaders.
- Put in place legislative frameworks (policies and regulations) to anchor departmental operations, including County Revolving Fund Act, ECDE Policy,Youth Training Policy, Persons with Disability Policy and Bill.
- Constructed 584 new ECDE classrooms.
- Employed 1,000 ECDE teachers within the first one year.
- Increased enrolment in ECDE from 29,047 in 2013 to 35,162 in 2017.
- Sponsored 1,800 students (20 per ward per year for the past 3 years) to undertake technical courses in plumbing, electrical and electronics, welding and fabrication, mechanical engineering, building and construction.
- Distributed Sh. 452 Million in bursaries to needy students over the last four years with 59,444 beneficiaries.
- Constructed 11 Vocational Training Colleges (Youth Polytechnics) to enable our youth access vocational education.
- Established a Persons with Disability Fund with over 4,000 beneficiaries.
- Constructed 2 dormitories in Rescue Centre.
- Developed Sports and Culture policies.
- Partnered with the national government to refurbish Kipchoge Keino Stadium to international standards.
- Sponsored cultural and sporting activities in the county.
- Hosted a number of national and international competitions.
- Rehabilitated 30 of playgrounds across the county.
- Trained youth, women and persons with disability on reservation procurement.
|Department Of Education, Social Services, Sports, Culture & Youth,
P.O.Box 40-30100, Eldoret,Kenya,
TEL: 020-2329037 /+254-053-2016330 /+254-053-2032603 /+254-053-2062208,